So I was at our friendly neighborhood Apple Store today getting a replacement dock cable for my iPhone, and while talking with the Apple Genius the subject of app development came up. I pull up the App Store on one of the display units, and search for SongTweeter. Only, unlike a few days ago, SongTweeter isn't the only search result that comes up when I search for "song twitter."
Looks like we have ourselves a new competitor!
So how does the competition stack up against us?
In their favor:
- Their app has a pretty slick UI.
- Their app apparently lets you dynamically create playlists and add songs to them from within the app.
- Their app lets you control the iTunes player. If a song comes on that you don't really feel like listening to, you can skip over it. (As Beavis and Butthead would say, "This sucks! Change it!")
- They also have another app, MusicStatus, that basically does the same thing as MusicTweet, only for Facebook. (You'll see why I mention this in a bit...)
- Their app has no ads.
In our favor:
- Our app is free.
- Our app works on iOS 4.2+.
Well, well, well... Some competition, eh? The only thing I have to say is... "BRING IT!!!"
Still, they do have a slick UI and some neat features, and I can't just ignore that. So I have some, shall we say, interesting things planned for SongTweeter. Not sure if I can have things ready in time for the holidays, but definitely by sometime early next year. So stay tuned!